Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Call

Ron and I have talked about going on a mission since we first got married. We were newly married and the time to serve a mission would be many years away. We had children to raise and employment to think about. Ron always dreamed of going back to Chile where he served as a young man.

I had just gotten released from the Relief Society Presidency at the end of July 2009. One day soon after,while I was out and about, Ron answered a call from the executive secretary setting up a appointment to meet with the Bishop for that Sunday. I thought, oh trouble, the Bishop is over the Relief Society and the Activities committee and I just got released from Relief Society so Activities committe here we come.

We were sitting in the Bishop's office waiting for him. Ron was chewing gum and I was trying to think of reasons why I couldn't be on the Activities committee when the Bishop came in and sat down. The next thing I heard was. "I want to call you on a mission." It would be a part time mission at the Church Employment Center. I looked at Ron and his mouth was going a mile a minute and I must of looked like a doe in the headlights because the Bishop said. "Don't answer me now, think about it and we will talk next week."

We went home and thought of all the reasons why we couldn't do it. After all he was going to be teaching four classes that semester and would really be busy. I knew I had so many things to do with children and grandchildren. I talked to some of our children and they knew that we should accept the call. After praying about it we also knew. After all we have been praying to our Heavenly Father for years for the opportunity to serve a mission. We always knew we would serve a mission but we thought that was for when we were older. Oh yeah, we are.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice Mama, this will be fun to read about your experiences.

    Lis

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love it and learn so much!

    ReplyDelete